Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Work Ethic

People assume that just because you don't work (outside of the home) anymore, you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to real work.  Really? So all that work I did from the time I was fifteen to twenty years later, means absolutely nothing?

I worked my ass tush off for corporations and small businesses for twenty years!  If I was clocked in, I was working.  If I was sick, I went to work. If I was having a bad day, I went to work. Life-changing event, I went to work.

I also never had it in me to not work while clocked in.  In company handbooks it was considered stealing from the business.  I believed that!  Still do. If you are clocked in, are able to be productive (no power outage), then you work to the best of your ability. No sloughing off.  I did this, day in and day out.

Even when I became a manager, I was still working my tail off to make sure that everything ran smoothly and that my people had jobs.  I expected them to work just as hard.  I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.  If you want a job, you are to work to the best of your ability or someone--who is willing to do the work--gets put in your place, and then you are swiftly shown to the door and shoved out.

I don't understand this mentality of "they owe me"...especially in this economy!  So many people are struggling and taking whatever job they can get.  If you really want the job, want to keep the job, work your fool arse off!

I know...it's not my life and I can't live it for anyone else. Ugh.  It just upsets me to see people take advantage and not understand the privilege of having a job that pays. Whether you get paid $7.75 an hour or $450.00 an hour, you should be working your arse off.

Take pride in your job, it reflects well on you.

3 comments:

  1. You write like a dream, an enrichment of life. I loved reading your blog life changing. Thank you for sharing. Greetings from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you again.

      Delete