Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Realizing Mortality

“Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.” 



One doesn't much think about their own mortality until someone else moves onto the next plane--or at least, I don't. I don't see the point in dwelling on how this life may or may not end. When it ends, it ends. I know wherever I go, I can begin life anew with loved ones that have gone before me.  Yes, I believe in an afterlife.

Why am I bringing this up?  Because my husband lost a friend today.  It's hard to hear of people your own age dying, and this is the second of his friends within a year.  He was deeply saddened, and I did what I could to comfort him, but I know my husband. He needed space so that he could grieve.  So I left the room and he came to me when he was ready.

I know a part of him is afraid of dying.  I've tried to walk him through the faith that I have for my own life, but he's a damaged man.  Completely redeemable, but damaged by a system of religion that discards you at the right price.  I still don't understand it, and neither does he.  I'll never give up on trying to show him though.

As for me, I finally realized a few years ago, that I don't have to be so worried about everything.  What symptom goes to what disease or where the most dangerous streets are in the state don't scare me so much. Why?  Because that's not living! If you're constantly stressing about "what could happen if..." then you are bringing your end date much closer to the present.  Stress is hard on your heart, which only causes more stress on the rest of your body. 

A few things I've learned and try to concentrate on daily:

Don't sweat the small stuff.  
Never cross your arms when you're angry.
Lose the hate.
Love until your heart stops.
Laugh, even when you want to cry.
"Kill" someone with kindness.
Pay it forward.
Smile when someone in front of you is angry.
Learn all that you can about something fun.
Play games.
Talk it out, listen carefully, and let the embers of regret turn to ash.

Guilt, regret, hatred, and anger have no place in my life. I cannot regret anything--so no guilt--because without   those things, I would not have learned anything.  Hatred doesn't hurt the other person, it only hurts me.  Anger...why?  Again, it only hurts me.


No comments:

Post a Comment